After some looong time working with Domino, IT decided to go up to R901 and have XPages on our servers.
No, not Linux, we go with Windows Server 2012 R2. Well.
Network team installed the Domino Software, started it. But Domino would not start up as a service, though configured. oops. And Domino would not even show the server console. And there was no console.log or other log file in the IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT directory.
The ServerConsole could not connect to the server. “There ain’t no server on port 2050”
Interesting things to watch were:
A Ping to the server name brought back ::1: which is the loopback address of the machine in IP V6 (think of 127.0.0.1). Even though IPV6 was NOT configured on the Network interfaces. (Windows? Knock Knock. Anybody in there?)
A Ping machine_name -4 brought back a V4 IP. (For better understanding, let it be 192.168.0.200 for this example)
to our notes.ini and restarted the DOMINO Server.
That’s the lines the ServerConsole Client uses to connect to the ServerConsole Controller (that’s the counterpart running in Domino on standard port 2050).
Hey, it worked!
After rebooting the Server machine (the whole machine, not only Domino), it again did not work.
We found a recommendation to delete the “dconsole.ini” in the Notes Data directory (it holds configuration for the ServerConsole Controller) did not help.
We then edited the line
and changed it to
But, whenever we started Domino, it switched the line back to:
LocalHost=COMMONSERVERNAME(FQDN):2050 and that Common Server name was an official Server.Domain.Countrycode name, so brought back an address from the DNS, and the address itself was of course in an outside range. The machine did not have access to that external range. And the Network Team did not want to give access to an outside range.
A new ping server name -4 also revealed: the server had a new internal IP address!
The cause: For whatever reason, our lovely server has 4 network interfaces configured. Network team needs that. But Windows Server 2012 will not prioritize these addresses on startup, or better: does prioritize the addresses in a special way (that looks random at each server start), i.e. we cannot use that way.
There is a workaround we made: John Biswell: set primary IP Address Thank you John Biswell.
Whenever the Domino Server started, it switched the IP Address in the LocalHost-Line to the Common Server Name. This name is obviously taken from the Fully Qualified Internet Hostname Field in the Basic section of the server configuration document. We could not change that for another reason, so we needed a workaround.
Here is the manual configuration that works for us:
We set the same primary IP in the above mentioned TCPIP_ControllerTcpAddress line in Notes.ini:
Then added a line to the hosts file with the same address and the common server name.
Now the server can find itself, even on the console.
Of course, the workaround will hinder any browser or tool to access the outside hostname, but we can live with that on a Domino Server.
“Shame on the Domino Server”, they said. Ha!
Background info from IBM (the only hint you can find in a log):
Either the Server Controller is not running on the host INMAIL01/Acme or is not listening on port 2050
Hope it helps